If you are choosing to walk to work then you are contributing to your health and the health of the environment. Walking is known to reduce blood pressure, alleviate stress, and make you feel better overall. Even though walking may seem like an inconvenience it really isn’t. Cars may disagree. Despite Los Angeles local government attempts to improve the awareness of pedestrians, not much has changed between the years. There are multiple reasons for the increase in pedestrian deaths but most are attributed to cars and drivers. People still love driving their cars and are driving them faster and more often. People are also driving in bigger, heavier vehicles. Combine this with an increase in distracted driving and it is a recipe for increased accidents all around.
But drivers are not all to blame. Infrastructure is another reason why pedestrians get hit. If you are walking through an intersection where the lights aren’t fixed or there aren’t clear walkways, drivers and pedestrians can get confused about who has the right of way. If sidewalks aren’t kept up or crosswalks painted, that can also be a recipe for disaster. People would rather stay alive, but when the infrastructure doesn’t provide clear enough protection or instruction it makes it harder. If you or someone you love has been hit while walking then you have the right to get compensation for your injuries. Our Crosswalk Accident Attorneys Los Angeles want to share 6 steps on what to do if you are hit:
- If you were hit by a vehicle while walking then your first action, if able to do so, is to call 911. Ideally, the person that hit you will stay, but sometimes they don’t. By calling the police you are making an official report and you are letting the other driver know that you are serious about the incident.
- Get all the details you can. If you are able to get pictures or write down everything that happened. Because you are likely in shock, it may be harder to remember later.
- Talk to people around you. If you were hit then others saw. Getting their statements may help you later.
- Do not discuss who is at fault on the scene. Do not apologize to anyone. Instead, tell the police what happened. Do not talk to any insurance representative.
- Contact your insurance company to tell them what happened but do not assign fault.
- Find legal representation because they can help you get the compensation needed for your injuries.
In today’s world, it is hard to get by paycheck to paycheck. If you were injured in an accident then you are looking at losing wages from work while you recover. Our Pedestrian Accident Attorneys can help you achieve financial compensation for your medical bills, at least. Don’t stress because our Crosswalk Accident Attorneys at Compass Law Group is here to do it for you. Call 800-602-4010 or click here to start your free consultation with our professional attorneys at Compass Law Group in Los Angeles today.