In what is, perhaps, one of the more unusual vehicle-related stories of the year so far, a woman driving a stolen ambulance lead police on a chase through downtown Los Angeles on Tuesday April 3. Around 12. 30a.m on Tuesday, a woman jumped into an ambulance which had been left vacant while paramedics transferred a patient into the California Hospital Medical Center, and drove away. After the theft was reported, police began tailing the ambulance, marking the start of a chase which would last for around 40 miles, as the woman used the 10 Freeway to drive towards Chino Hills. She eventually handed herself over to officers around 1.15a.m. on the 71 Freeway South.
Thankfully, nobody was injured during this chase, nor were any injuries sustained as a result of the woman’s reckless, and criminal, behavior. However, not everyone is as lucky when large vehicles such as trucks – or ambulances – are driven negligently or recklessly.
What to Do After a Los Angeles Truck Accident
Road accidents always have the potential to inflict catastrophic injuries and damage, and these risks are greatly magnified when a vehicle as large as a semi-truck is involved in the collision. If you are involved in such a collision, you are sure to be in shock as the reality and gravity of the situation begins to dawn on you. However, to ensure your Los Angeles truck accident attorney can help you secure the maximum amount of compensation and damages, there are some things you absolutely must do.
- First off, give yourself a check over for injuries, as shock can mean you are not immediately aware of pain
- Check any passengers in your vehicle, before moving on to check on the drivers and passengers in other vehicles involved in the truck accident
- If you can, make sure everyone moves away from the scene
- Alert emergency services by dialing 911 and reporting the truck accident
- Obtain contact details from the truck driver, other motorists and passengers, and any witnesses who may be able to strengthen your case
- Do not give a statement to anyone other than the police, until you have obtained expert legal guidance from a Los Angeles truck accident attorney
- Do not attempt to deal with the truck driver’s insurance company on your own – speak to an experienced Los Angeles truck accident attorney, and allow us to handle the case on your behalf
- Seek medical attention for any injuries, regardless of how minor they may seem
- Take notes about the accident, including any information you feel may be relevant. This can help later in your claim
- Take photographs of your injuries, damages to your vehicle, and any other aspects of the scene you can safely access
Work with a Los Angeles Truck Accident Attorney to Secure Maximum Compensation
When you have sustained injuries, or had your property damaged, as a result of a Los Angeles truck accident, the financial consequences can be severe. Perhaps you are unable to work, meaning you and your family must adapt to life without your income, and you may be facing rapidly mounting medical expenses, with more to come as you recover.